Gift Idea: Adhesive Vinyl on a Ceramic Mixing Bowl
Hi friends! Elise here from Polka Dotted Blue Jay. I am having so much fun getting ready for the holidays and making simple, unique Christmas gifts for my family and friends. They just feel more personal, don’t you agree? I used my Silhouette Cameo to make this DIY “Life is Short – Lick the Bowl” Mixing Bowl for my sister; she is the baker in our family. I filled the bowl with some baking supplies and I know she will love it!
Estimated Time: 30 Minutes Skill Level: Intermediate
- Silhouette CAMEO®
- Silhouette Cutting Mat
- Silhouette Cutting Blade
- Weeding Hook
- Silhouette Studio
- Design # 271894 from the Silhouette Design Store
- Permanent Adhesive Vinyl – Black and Mint
- Transfer Tape
- Scraper Tool
- Mixing Bowl
Creating Your Design:
1. Open up your Silhouette Studio®. 2. Select the Page Setup Window and adjust your cutting mat size to 12x12 (or the sized mat you are using). 3. Download your design from the Silhouette Design Store and then open your word art in Silhouette Studio. Click File>Library>Downloaded Designs>Select your downloaded file.
4. Select the design and click Object>Ungroup.
5. Delete the elements you don’t want on your bowl. I removed the bowl layers.
6. Click and select the whole design and select Object>Group.
7. Measure your mixing bowl and re-size your design to the correct space on your 12x12 template – be sure to move the design as a group so it keeps everything lined up. You can do this by clicking and dragging to cover the whole design and then moving as one piece. 8. Attach your Permanent Adhesive Vinyl to the cutting mat, color side up, and load into your machine. You can load both colors into the machine at the same time; just make sure your physical mat matches the digital mat 9. Follow the prompts in the Design Studio to adjust your blade (if using a ratchet blade) for Permanent Adhesive Vinyl and double check to make sure your design has been selected to cut. 10. Select “Send” to start cutting. 11. Select “Unload” when your machine has finished cutting your design to remove the cutting mat from the machine.
Preparing Your Design:
1. Remove your sheets of Permanent Adhesive Vinyl from the cutting mat – go slow so it doesn’t curl up. 2. Use your fingers or a wedding tool to remove the excess vinyl. Be sure to leave your design on the backing sheet.
Creating Your Mixing Bowl:
1. Place a piece of transfer tape over each part of your design. 2. Use the scraping tool to make sure the design adheres to the transfer tape. 3. Gently pull transfer tape and make sure the entire design lifts with it.
4. Place your design on top of the bowl. I found it was easier to flip my bowl upside down so it didn’t wobble. *Use both hands! 5. Use the scraping tool to smooth the design onto the bowl. 6. Slowly remove the transfer tape.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 with the second color of Permanent Adhesive Vinyl.
Once you've applied your decal, the mixing bowl is ready for stuffing! Fill it with baking goodies like ingredients, a spatula, mixing spoon, you name it! You could even make a cute kitchen towel to go in the bowl, like our Mind Your Own Biscuts HTV Kitchen Towel. This bowl is such a simple, quick gift to make and totally functional! It is best to hand wash Permanent Adhesive Vinyl decals, but this bowl will hold up in the dishwasher. I am totally a bowl-licker/cookie dough eater so I may have to make one for myself as well.
We hope you're taking some time this Holiday season to lick the bowl and really enjoy this wonderful time of the year. We know how busy the Holidays can be, so here at Craftables we will do our best to help you out by getting sending your orders quickly and offering you as much gifting inspirtation as possible!
About the Author
I am Elise from Polka Dotted Blue Jay – a blog full of crafts, party inspiration, and desserts covered in sprinkles. I live in sunny southern California with my husband, our baby boy, and our two fluffy cats. My Grandmother ignited my creative spark as a little girl and I loved getting to visit her and work on whatever craft project she had dreamt up. I am a legal accounting clerk by day (hilarious because I am terrible at math) and a crafting tornado by night. Sometimes all a woman needs is some craft glue and glitter to find balance in daily life. I’m thrilled and honored to be a part of the Craftables team and can’t wait to get crafty with you!